Saturday, March 30, 2013

waiting for the tamarind to be ripe



When I was young in El Salvador we lived in the hills of the volcano of San Salvador, and my mother's pride was her garden which was full of roses, fruit trees and then luxurious greens and she had all sorts of exotic trees and plants...as children this garden was a whole new universe, wild and full of adventures and also food...One of my biggest treats was to walk quite far into that jungle and down a steep hill to reach what I thought was a tamarind tree, I thought it was from japan or india I cannot remember but it was not the tamarind we all know. To be able to reap the delicious fruit one thing was required: to be VERY patient!!!! the fruit could only be picked when the skin was fully brown and how many times did I pick it not ready yet to regret bitterly that I had ruined a whole fruit (as they were not that many per season). But when you picked the fruit just right then it was just pure heaven.

Many years later I am just as impatient as I was as a child, have I not learnt anything? It is one of my biggest faults.

So wednesday and friday I had news from Prof Haanen that my TILS are growing well but they are not ready YET (normally TILS take like 4-5 weks to grow but this protocol has a faster procedure of growth that lasts about 14 days)...so we need to wait until tuesday to be CERTAIN that there will be enough TILs for the transplant and thus for me to go through the next steps (meaning the leukapheresis and young cell collection that will feed the TILS next week).

So we wait...and hopefully the chocolate indulgence that will take place tomorrow around here because of easter will distract me some.

No comments:

Post a Comment